Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Carrot Cookies with Orange Icing

I've only made these once, since they're a little bit labor intensive (or maybe that's just my perception), but they were really good that one time.  I think I made them for Eliza's blessing.  Mom and I had a hard time staying away from them. :)  These are also from the "Food Nanny" cookbook.

4 or 5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
3/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
Orange Icing

Put the carrots in a medium saucepan with water to cover and bring to a boil.  Decrease the heat and simmer until they are soft, about 15 minutes.  Drain and mash the carrots with a fork to make 1 c.  Set aside.
Preheat oven to 325.  Grease a cookie sheet.
Mix butter, sugar and egg- beat until light, about 1 minute.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt.  Add to creamed mixture and combine.  Mix in vanilla and carrots.
Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, taking care not to overbake.
Meanwhile, quickly make the icing.  Place the cookies on foil and ice them while they are hot.

Orange Icing
4 c. powdered sugar
1 t. butter
Juice of 1-2 oranges
Pinch salt
To sugar, add butter, juice of 1 orange and salt.  Mix until smooth, adding more orange juice as needed for spreading consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment